Latest on Covid-19 and Asymptomatic People at Funerals
“Covid-19 Positive or symptomatic people can now attend funerals – but Government advice remains not to.” This is a change to the law, implemented on 28th September 2020. Oddly, this does not apply to those who have been notified via the track and trace system.
- This legislation will not be changed. NAFD are making strong representations to the Government and will issue further guidance ASAP
- Individual funeral venues will not be able to override this at local levels. (Including Crematoriums).
- The NAFD guidance to members is to urge and discourage anyone who is Covid-19 positive or symptomatic not to attend. They should suggest that families take advantage of web streaming facilities.
- Under this law, nobody can refuse attendance to Covid-19 positive or symptomatic people to attend. They can only discourage attendance.
- The further guidance to be issued shortly is expected to make clear that there is a duty upon the infectious person to inform funeral directors and funeral venues, prior to the funeral date.
- The law is that people may attend a funeral only if it is a close family member.
- Why such a crazy and dangerous situation? The Government is afraid that to reverse this law may open them up to a claim for infringement of Human Rights.
IoCF advice now is:-
- Speak to your funeral directors/crematoriums and see how they are reacting to this information.
- Ask your FD if they are asking families if they will have anyone who has tested positive for Covid-19 or is symptomatic whether or not they will attend the funeral
- Ask your FD’s to notify you at the time of booking or afterwards if it becomes apparent, that a Covid-19 positive or symptomatic person is to attend.
- ASK YOUR FAMILIES AT FAMILY MEETING AND AT ANY TIME IF YOU SUSPECT A COVID POSITIVE ATTENDEE.
- ASSESS THE RISKS FOR YOURSELF. Decide for yourself what level of risk and safety you are prepared to accept. Refuse a booking if you are uncomfortable.
- Unfortunately, this all depends on the infected person admitting that they have been diagnosed as Covid-19 positive or are symptomatic.
My view is that it is so against everything that the Government is telling us that not many people will realise what the law is now and may possibly not try to attend a funeral if they are infected. The less the public know, the better. The previous postings and legislation about self-isolating and non-symptomatic attendees still stands.
Seminar and AGM
Saturday 17th October 10.00am to 12.30pm
Please see below the links to IoCF accounts and AGM agenda
You are warmly invited to attend this online event. See link below. Our headline speaker is Julie Dunk, Chief Executive of the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium and Management. A good opportunity to ask her some questions. You can send questions to the office beforehand or ask them on the day.
Please could you also send any apologies to the office this week along with any proposals or nominations to join the Council of Management for this coming year. All meetings are held via Zoom so it doesn’t matter where in the country you live! Anyone can join us to help out running this Institute for You.
Institute of Civil Funerals is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Institute of Civil Funerals’ Zoom Seminar and AGM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 427 705 7739
One tap mobile
+442080806591,,4277057739#,,,,,,0#,,896436# United Kingdom
+442080806592,,4277057739#,,,,,,0#,,896436# United Kingdom
Dial by your location
+44 208 080 6591 United Kingdom
+44 208 080 6592 United Kingdom
+44 330 088 5830 United Kingdom
+44 131 460 1196 United Kingdom
+44 203 481 5237 United Kingdom
+44 203 481 5240 United Kingdom
+44 203 901 7895 United Kingdom
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 427 705 7739
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aw39wwEYm